About This Site
This is a little side project of mine that I started building in December, 2018. I've been interested in tracking the delivery of the new Flexity streetcars to the TTC for a couple of years and used a few different websites to do so. But none were specifically tailored to deliveries.
So I built my own site that provides the information I wanted in a format I liked.
- On the homepage, I track some recently arrived cars, and also a few that are expected soon. In this way, I can see when testing begins and also when a new car enters service.
- On the notables page, I can track cars that have been sent back for repairs or have been involved in accidents that have taken them out of service for extended periods of time.
- On the legacy page, I'm tracking the remaining ALRVs that are still marked as being active. Over the next little while the list of ALRVs that are in service will diminish until none of them are out on Toronto streets anymore marking the end of an era.
- The details page for each car provides some information as well as a map so you can view the last reported location of each car. You can step through cars or lookup any car by number.
- I'd like to start pulling the car lists from a database instead of from hard-coded arrays. Once that is done, I can create a way to edit those lists from the site, rather than having to touch the code each time I want to add or remove a specific car from the list.
- Long lists of cars take a while to load, so it would be nice to have the data come in asynchronously.
- The detail view with the map loads the location of the car only once and then you have to refresh. It would be nice to update the car location live so you can track it around the city over time.